Description : Project Officer. Company : UN. Location : Islamabad
UNDP Pakistan has partnered with the Ministry of Planning, Development & Reform to set up a SDGs Support Unit at the federal level under the umbrella of a national initiative for SDGs, titled ‘Mainstreaming, Acceleration and Policy Support for SDGs’. The project aims to support localization of SDGs at the national level and coordinate closely with all other SDG Support Units established at provincial level. The project will focus on four key areas of intervention: 1) SDGs mainstreaming through policy integration and coordination; 2) strengthening monitoring and reporting mechanism; 3) financing for development; and 4) applying innovative approaches to accelerate progress on SDGs.
In this regard, UNDP is advertising the position of Project Officer. The Project Officer will be supporting the execution of the SDGs project at federal and provincial level - providing project management support including work planning, implementation of project activities, project progress monitoring, Atlas functions, following up on project HR / procurement, audit and bringing new ideas for project.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Project Officer will be working under the direct supervision of Assistant Resident Representative (Development Policy Unit) and will be based in UNDP Country office. The Project Officer will work closely with the SDGs Support Units at federal and provincial levels to contribute to the four outputs of the project and support planning & implementation phase.
- Support overall project implementation in coordination with SDG Support Units
- Support Result Based Management and Reporting on the SDGs project
- Support to Project Implementation in coordination with SDG Support Units:
- Coordinating with the SDG units at federal and provincial levels and provide support to develop unit workplans;
- Following up on project implementation and delivery of programme interventions and ensure the achievement of outputs is in line with the approved work plan through the day to day planning, coordination & implementation of activities;
- Support the SDG Support Units in development of relevant Terms of Reference for the mobilization of qualified international and national experts and organizations, as needed, to provide specific consultancy services;
- Following up on procurement processes and participating in procurement evaluations.
- Participates in recruitment processes for projects.
- Financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions. Participation in project audit.
- Follow up on audit recommendations and ensure that all exceptions are timely reported.
- Support the preparations for the Project Board and Technical Committee
- Management of Atlas functions; entering project into Atlas, finalization of contribution agreement; determination of required revisions; coordination of the mandatory and budget re-phasing exercises, closure of projects through review.
- Support implementation of project by bringing in new ideas including those from global and regional experience in the implementation of SDGs.
Support Result Based Management and Reporting on the SDGs project:
- Coordinate production of project progress and financial reports, plan of action and other documentation requirements utilizing established UNDP and governments reporting systems;
- Ensure accurate and timely high-quality results reporting on the progress of the project and achievement of annual targets.
- Support preparation of reports for the Project Technical Committee, Project Board and donor’s meetings.
- Ensure that donor and UNDP reports are prepared according to UNDPs SOPs, quality standards and in line with the contractual obligations to project donors. Ensure that all internal and external reports are submitted by deadlines;
The incumbent of the position will uphold the non-discriminatory behavior and ensure that:
- Human rights and gender equality is prioritized as an ethical principle within all actions;
- Activities are designed and implemented in accordance with “Social and Environmental Standards of UNDP”;
- Any kind of diversities based on ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, disability, religion, class, gender are respected within all implementations including data production;
- Differentiated needs of women and men are considered;
- Inclusive approach is reflected within all actions and implementations, in that sense an enabling and accessible setup in various senses such as disability gender language barrier is created;
- Necessary arrangements to provide gender parity within all committees, meetings, trainings, etc.
Innovation Ability to make new and useful ideas work Level 4: Adept with complex concepts and challenges convention purposefully
Leadership Ability to persuade others to follow Level 4: Generates commitment, excitement and excellence in others People Management Ability to improve performance and satisfaction Level 4: Models independent thinking and action
Communication Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform Level 4: Synthesizes information to communicate independent analysis Delivery Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement Level 4: Meets goals and quality criteria for delivery of products or services
People Management Ability to improve performance and satisfaction Level 4: Models independent thinking and action
Delivery Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement Level 4: Meets goals and quality criteria for delivery of products or services
Managing for Results: Plans and prioritize work activities to meet desired results; Strategic approach to problem solving Level 4: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise
Partnering & Networking: Build and sustains relationships with key constituents (internal/external/bilateral/multilateral/public/private; civil society); Seeks and applies knowledge, information, and best practices; Demonstrates ability to handle working relationships with senior officials, academics and technical experts. Level 4: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise
Innovation & Judgment: Conceptualizes and analyzes problems to identify key issues, underlying problems, and how they relate; Generates creative, practical approaches to overcome challenging situations; Devises new systems and processes, and modifies existing ones, to support innovative behaviorsLevel 4: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise
Gender Displays gender sensitivity and promotes gender equality in all aspects of work Knowledge of systems for gender mainstreaming and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situation
Required Skills and Experience
- Min. Academic Education Master’s Degree preferably in public administration,Social Sciences disciplines, Economics or management
- Min. years of relevant Work experience At least 2 years of extensive experience at the national or international level in project management through planning and implementation. Familiarity with donor funded development projects will be considered an asset.
- Proficient in Verbal and written English
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
HEC attested degrees are a prerequisite for employment at UNDP. During the recruitment process candidates may be required to present HEC attested degrees. Foreign Qualified Candidates: Foreign degree holders shall be required to(i) Present a verification/certification letter from the university verifying the degree & student enrollment, or (ii) Foreign degree Equivalence Letter from HEC. UNDP provides the Equal Opportunity for all equally qualified male & female including the physically challenged candidates, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply (local and internal VA) United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) does not charge fee at any stage of the recruitment process including application, interviews, selection or induction etc. Moreover, UNDP does not concern itself with any information on the applicants bank accounts
"UNDP has zero tolerance towards Sexual Harassment (SH) and Sexual Exploitation & Abuse (SEA)”.
Minimum Education: Masters
Minimum Experience: 2 Years(Min. years of relevant Work experience At least 2 years of extensive experience at the national or international level in project management through planning and implementation.)